Monday, November 21, 2011

Subtle mind Exercise VS loving kindness

These exercises have both been very challenging for me. A "subtle mind" is something I am working towards but I have a long way to go. Both the loving kindness exercise and the subtle mind exercise focus on breathing. It's ironic that breathing occurs naturally but to stop and learn how to change our breathing, to slow down and take deep breaths is something that, for me, is very challenging.
 
I can see how there is a deep connection between my spiritual, mental and physical wellness. I am a Christian and my faith is very important to me. I believe that God led me to this class and this career path. My life has been very trying and challenging. God has been my rock, my strength and my salvation.

In the past six months, I have been through a lot. My alcoholic boyfriend of seven years decided he didn't love me anymore and kicked me out of our apartment. My parents lost their jobs and had to put their house on the market. My two closest friends decided they were tired of dealing with all the drama in my life. I met a wonderful guy and moved in with him. We experienced a home invasion and all of our electronic possessions were stolen from us at gun point. That home invasion was a traumatic experience but I am wiser and more humble for it. I saw my life flash before my eyes. I learned that material possessions and money can be replaced. The important parts of life are the people you have and the moments you share.

I am working and going to school. This class has been like therapy for me. I am trying to recover from all the traumatic events in my life. I am trying to learn how to spend time reflecting. With God's help I know I will become the strong, confident, social person that I once was. God will bring Cirrell a job. He will provide us with a place to stay when this house sells. I want to just say thanks for all my friends and family. In a world of chaos, it is comforting to know there are people to lean on. It's easy to feel lost and alone when life keeps putting obstacles on my path but I know that I am not alone. God is with me. He has provided me with friends and family to comfort and support me.

~Amy Summey

2 comments:

  1. Let go and let God. Sometimes life is just hard. Believe in yourself and love yourself enough to forge on. Don't settle and do make excuses for what you want out of life. Make goals and stick to them. I too had an alcoholic in my family. I was an enabler, the peace maker, never saying how I truly felt. Until one day, I decided that I was not going to put up with it anymore. With that my life changed. I know what I want and will not settle. I will not tolerate alcohol or drugs in my life. Prayers have blessed me with determination and a security of knowing who I am. Hang in there!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, While you are trying to develope your mental fitness, it looks to me as if you have already done a very nice job developing your spiritua; fitness. I feel with more time practicing the breathing techniques that you will be able to master them and put the powerfull tool to use. It seems as if you have had very trying times in your past few months. Things tend to all happen at one time and it can really put you in a bad place mentally. Having your faith is great and using this class to help you is also great. I know you will get the hang of the breathing soon. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete